Imported car registrations​

As a general rule, you are required to register your car in the country where you have your residence.

There is no EU wide law on vehicle registration. The following information reflects the practices in many EU countries.

You can check the rules which apply in your country and the country you are moving to

To register your car, you will have to submit a number of documents:

      • Roadworthiness certificate and proof of roadworthiness
      • Registration certificate
      • Proof of ownership
      • Proof of value-added tax (VAT) payment
      • Proof of Customs duty payment if purchased outside EU
      • Proof of insurance cover
      • Certificate of conformity for new cars

The certificate of conformity ( COC ) is issued by the manufacturer and shows that the technical characteristics of the vehicle meet safety and environmental standards.